Experiences and thoughts on taking the July 2006 Bar Exam

Tuesday, June 6

So What's Your Incentive For Passing The Bar?

Are you ready to introduce yourself to people, "Hi, my name is Smith. I'm an attorney here in California." Are you ready for that? What does it mean to you to have this license?

I ask because for some people, the dream of becoming a lawyer is powerful incentive, the goal will propel you to success. For others, this may ironically be a stumbling block. Why? Because some people either aren't ready to or do not want to work as lawyers. Subconsciously, there may be demands to live up to other's expectations, or you may just know lots of lawyers who hate their jobs. If a part of you even resonates slightly to this hesitation, please do not let it stand in your way.

A couple of truths to remember: 1) Passing the Bar and getting licensed will give you credibility, no matter what you decide to do professionally down the road. 2) Passing the bar does not require you to do any one job. Having the license will open many doors ---some predictable, and some you might never have envisioned. There are infinite ways in which the skills you have developed can be transferred into an equally infinite number of interests ---professional and personal.

I would not say that being able to practice law is my biggest incentive to study for and pass the bar. Right now it is more a fear of not knowing what to I will do if I should fail the bar that is motivating me to put in the time and effort.

Anyway, I am curious as to hear what is driving others to pursue success on the bar exam, especially from those who do not want to be lawyers.

5 Comments:

Blogger ES said...

I can't believe I'm not on your links...are you discriminating against me because I'm on the quarter system and I haven't even freaking finished EXAMS yet???? I'll be talking about the bar exam soon, I promise!

6/06/2006 2:30 PM

 
Blogger Frolics and Detours said...

E. Spat is being a brat! It's not our fault she chose to go to the school with the crazy schedule!

My motivation to pass the bar is knowing I may have to do it again which I so don't want to do!

Lots of exclamation points in this comment!

6/06/2006 3:57 PM

 
Blogger W said...

Is that an offer in exchange for an act of performance E. Spat? Hmmmm... what has Wayne been studying recently?

As for taking it a second time if I should fail... I think I'm ruling that option out. This is going to be a one time deal for me either way.

6/06/2006 10:34 PM

 
Blogger ES said...

Haha...this is the first time I've had time to come back and check this...you're damn right it's an offer! Oh wait, was that supposed to be dirty? Listen, everyone handles stress in their own way.

6/15/2006 3:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think (hope) a lot of people can identify with my motivation - I'm scheduled to run out of savings money in October, so if I don't pass, I'll be out on the street... Anyone else?

6/18/2006 5:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home