Experiences and thoughts on taking the July 2006 Bar Exam

Tuesday, June 13

Is A Four Hour Time Good Enough To Pass The Bar?

Everyone says it's a marathon, not a sprint and therefore you should pace yourself. But what exactly does that mean? I understand that means you shouldn't go so fast that you burn yourself out but doesn't it also mean that you have to be at the pace where you're not going too slow? And isn't that the bigger fear, the fear that you're going too slow, not that you're going too fast. How do I know that I'm going at a 1o minute a mile pace when I should be going at an 8 minute a mile pace? Is the right pace simply the one where you're completing all the tasks of your bar prep program right on schedule? Not doing less than scheduled because that would be too slow and not doing more than scheduled because that would be too fast? Or is there something more to it?

Anyway, the following is a post over at P.A.S.S. The Bar Exam regarding burn out.
I see how some people have just had it. Others want even more time to pull it all together. Either way, it's cool. Give yourself a break. It's normal. It's very personal. And, bottom line, either way, you have no choice. You are taking this exam on July 25, 26, and 27, and YOU are going to pass! Done deal. No options. No way around it. You'll go in then, and do your best.

So, how do you get through until then? A couple of thoughts. 1) Exercise. Most people are stressed, quite normally so. The best way to burn off the excess stress is to burn it out, with exercise. 2) Pace yourself. Take breaks. Remember even during the bar, you get close to a 2 hour lunch break between the morning and afternoon sessions. So, feel free to take long lunches now, each day. Stop fully and relax. Then get back into it. And, when you've put in a full day of studying, take off at night to relax before you get a good night's sleep. And, make sure to get a good night's sleep, each and every night. 3) Last, but not least, get comfortable with "practice test days." One way of coping with the actual exam is to walk in with a "been there, done that" --attitude. You've been writing practice exams all summer. Those days, tell yourself, "This is just another practice exam." Do your best. You can handle it. I know you can!

Above all, be kind to yourself. This IS one of the hardest times in your life, one of the steepest mountains you will ever have to climb. The good news is, once you get through, it's a lifetime license.

4 Comments:

Blogger charlsiekate said...

Okay, maybe the burnout post is encouraging, but don't read any of the other posts on the P.A.S.S. website or you will want to go play in traffic on the highest, steepest bridge in your state.

I mean, I'm sorry, but when, not if, I go to the beach on the weekend, my books are staying at home. At least until after the 4th. I mean, what if I spill beer on one? I paid a lot of money for those books.

And if any of you are capable of simply studying and sleeping, as the post below the burn out post suggests, then you are a better law student than I am.

I prefer to hear stories like the one my friends told me at lunch today about how after lecture lunch yesterday turned into one beer to watch the world cup, turned into a pitcher, turned into moving bars to play pool and watch the games and drink more beer, turned into more beer and darts at nowhere bar.

I can honestly say that I love the people in my law school class and I have NO DOUBT in my mind that they will all pass the bar and not lose their minds in the process. People fail the bar because they freak out. Obviously skipping all your Barbri lectures is a bad idea, but taking a random afternoon off to play with friends is what is going to keep you sane.

I just hope they call me next time lunch gets to be exciting.

6/14/2006 5:13 PM

 
Blogger Lizzie said...

Of course it is impossible to know whether one's chosen pace is the right pace until that fateful day in November, but I think the right pace is the one at which you are progressing through your study schedule but are also still maintaining your ability to function as a human being. My brain doesn't function on more than 8 or 9 hours of active study time. And it likes at least one day off every week (and sometimes two). I'm not a person who can do the 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week and I'm hopeful that trying to make by 8 hour, 6 day a week schedule productive (rather than desperate), it will work out well in the end. My results this week are in a slump so maybe I should be more stressed out, but I just don't see how that would help.

6/15/2006 11:57 AM

 
Blogger katze said...

Two hour lunch break? HA! We get 40 minutes in our state. Makes me want to puke just thinking of it. Would it have killed them to make it a full hour?

And I am sooooo not studying 12 hours a day. If I fail, I guess I can blame it on my dogged insistence on having a life outside my studies. Perhaps I am just not cut out for the life of an attorney.

7/01/2006 12:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been in pre-Bar Review and then the full on Bar Review for what seems like forever right now, but I started studying in serious earnest (more than a couple hours a day) just at the beginning of July. Doesn't even seem like I could possibly learn all the rules, but I am optimistic. Chugging away.....

M.

7/17/2006 7:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home